Today is National Vanilla Milkshake Day! Traditional milkshakes usually contain ice cream and are full of added sugar*, but have no fear: Here’s a recipe for a milkshake that’s just as cold, creamy, sweet and delicious but also healthy and vegan.
- 1 cup almond milk (or nut milk of your choice) OR full-fat coconut milk for a more indulgent shake
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 cup frozen banana chunks
- Soak your date in hot water for a few minutes until softened
- Remove pit from the date
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
* The difference between the effect on your body of just straight up sugar vs adding fruit is in the amount of time it takes for your the fructose to hit your liver. The fibre in fruit slows down your body’s absorption of this fructose, so your liver has time to process it.
From the Institute for Responsible Nutrition:
When consumed, [their] large doses of fructose overwhelm the liver’s ability to metabolize fructose. The liver responds by doing the most efficient thing it can do with fructose–it converts fructose to fat, which, over time, leads to metabolic syndrome by contributing to:
- fatty liver disease (a precursor to diabetes)
- liver insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes)
- increased small, dense LDL cholesterol
- increased triglycerides
- increased uric acid (which contributes to hypertension)