I was at Whole Foods the other day and in one of my favorite sections of the store, the faux meats section, I came across Jackfruit.
I had heard about the meaty texture of jackfruit, but never came across the actual fruit in the grocery store. I LOVE trying new products and get really excited about them, especially meat, dairy and cheese alternatives, so of course I had to buy one (no this is not a sponsored post — I’m way too insignificant in the food blog world heh).
It tastes different from anything I’ve ever had, but I liked it. I wish I could tell you if they taste jackfruit-y, but I can’t because I’ve never had it.
Anyway, I decided to make Asian tacos with the jackfruit, adding a rice vinegar, soy sauce slaw and some Sriracha.
Instead of using regular corn or flour tortillas, I went with sprouted grain tortillas.
The jackfruit doesn’t have a lot of calories — 100 for 1/2 cup, so this makes for a light dinner that comes together so quickly. You can eat it throughout the week, preparing the slaw in advance.
Makes 12 tacos (2 tacos per serving)
For the slaw:
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage, regular cabbage, and carrots; I bought mine pre-shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of sugar or 1 packet of Stevia
- a few slices of jalapeno (optional)
I can only tolerate a moderate amount of spice, so I just added the jalapeno in to let the flavor and spice rub against the other ingredients, but I don’t put the actual slices in my taco. But you do you, boo.
For the tacos:
- 2-3 boxes of The Jackfruit Company Sesame-Ginger Jackfruit
- 1 package small / taco-sized tortillas of your choice
- 1 small bunch cilantro
Optional but recommended garnishes:
- sesame seeds
- a wedge of lime
Meal prepping directions:
- Mix all of the slaw ingredients together in a container.
- Wash a big handful of the cilantro and put it in another container.
- Empty the packets of jackfruit into a third container.
- Refrigerate all three containers.
Serving directions for 2 tacos:
- Warm up 2 tortillas on a pan
- In the meantime, microwave about 1/2 cup of the jackfruit, or as much as you want.
- When the tortillas are done warming up, top with 1/3 cup of the slaw distributed evenly between them, then top with the warmed jackfruit.
- Top with torn up cilantro, as much Sriracha as you’d like.
- Add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a squeeze of lime if using.
Have you tried jackfruit before? How did you eat it?