I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for the next episode of this YouTube series. Basically, this guy (who’s an omnivore) takes on a challenge to eat vegan on a budget of $50 for a week. He’s come up with some pretty creative dishes so far.
In this episode, he and a friend make sweet potato gnocchi, with a sauce using leftover ingredients from previous dishes.
If you don’t know what gnocchi is (pronounced n(y)ok-ee or noh-kee, naw-kee), this is what Wikipedia says:
Gnocchi are various thick, soft dough dumplings that may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs, cornmeal, or similar ingredients, with or without flavourings of herbs, vegetables, or sweet things like cocoa or prunes… Gnocchi is usually eaten as a replacement for pasta as a first course, but it can also be served as a contorno to some dishes.
The dish originates from Italy.
Here’s how they made gnocchi from sweet potatoes:
- roast an entire sweet potato whole at 400F for 45 mins
- add a sprinkle of salt to extract the moisture
- add flour gradually (looks to be about 1/4 cup) and fold in gently
- to test for flavor, make one gnocchi by forming a ball with two spoons
- add to boiling water until it rises to the surface (3 mins)
- taste gnocchi and adjust seasoning on sweet potato-flour mixture if necessary
- form balls and cook the remaining gnocchi
The sauce they added the gnocchi to had a mixture of:
- leftover mac and cheese sauce
- leftover ramen stock
- black beans
- salt and pepper
I was hoping there would have been more dishes, but I thought this video was pretty cool. I’ve never made gnocchi before or thought it could be made with sweet potato, but now I’d like to try making it. Looking forward to the final episode 🙂